U.S. Military Sends Additional Forces to the Middle East in Preparation for Possible Strike on Iran / Still Not Enough

According to Rokna, citing NBC News, U.S. officials and public tracking data indicate that the Department of Defense is deploying a wide array of additional military assets to the Middle East, including more warships, air defense systems, and submarines, in preparation for a potential military strike on Iran should President Donald Trump decide to take such action.

This military buildup comes as the United States and Iran continue diplomatic talks aimed at preventing a conflict. Following indirect talks with Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff and his son-in-law Jared Kushner in Geneva on Tuesday, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi described “good progress.” White House spokesperson Karoline Leavitt said on Wednesday that “some progress has been made,” but “many details remain to be discussed.”

Given the significant gaps between the two sides on fundamental issues, the prospect of a breakthrough appeared distant. The Trump administration insists that Iran agree to restrictions on its missile program as well as its nuclear activities, a proposal Tehran has so far completely rejected.

According to a senior U.S. government official, Trump’s top national security advisors met on Wednesday in the White House Situation Room to discuss Iran. The official added that no final decision regarding potential military action has been made, and the U.S. is awaiting a written response from Iran that could address some of the remaining areas of disagreement.

Meanwhile, the aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford—the second carrier Trump has sent to the Middle East—is en route across the Atlantic to the Mediterranean Sea, along with its accompanying ships. They are expected to arrive in the coming days, while a nuclear submarine remains stationed in the Mediterranean.

Upon arrival, these vessels will join the USS Abraham Lincoln and its accompanying ships, which form its carrier strike group in the Persian Gulf. According to U.S. Navy tracking data, several other vessels are also in the region, including at least three littoral combat ships, a guided-missile destroyer in the Red Sea, and two guided-missile destroyers near the Strait of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf.

Iranian senior officials have repeatedly warned in recent years that, in the event of an attack, they would militarily block the Strait of Hormuz—a vital shipping route through which approximately 20% of global oil supply passes. Iranian state media reported on Tuesday that parts of the strait were temporarily closed for a few hours due to “security considerations” while the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps conducted military exercises.

These aircraft carriers and their accompanying warships allow the U.S. to conduct operations against Iran without relying on aircraft stationed in Arab Gulf countries. Those governments, concerned about retaliatory measures from Iran’s missile arsenal, have stated that they will not allow offensive operations to be conducted from their territories.

It remains unclear whether any attack on Iran would be carried out solely by U.S. forces or as a joint operation with Israel’s military. A U.S. State Department official said that Secretary of State Marco Rubio is scheduled to visit Israel on February 28 to meet with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Another State Department official added that Netanyahu, who visited Washington last week, is concerned about the status of ongoing negotiations with Iran and that Rubio will provide him with updates on recent developments. Israel opposed the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, and Trump withdrew the U.S. from that agreement during his first term in office.

Trump has publicly stated that he has tabled the idea of military action and has instead pursued diplomatic discussions.

The current U.S. military buildup in the region is similar to preparations made prior to the airstrike in June ordered by Trump against three Iranian nuclear sites, when two aircraft carriers were deployed to the Arabian Sea.

According to a senior retired defense official, the U.S. likely possesses sufficient military capability in the region to conduct limited strikes depending on objectives.

Depending on Trump’s decisions, potential targets could include Iran’s air defense systems, which were previously damaged during the June conflict between Israel and Iran, ballistic missile depots and launchers, drone manufacturing facilities, and bases used by the Revolutionary Guard and Basij militia.

According to former officials and experts, any strike on nuclear sites would likely include the underground site known as Kūh-e Kolang Gaz Lā or “Pickaxe Mountain,” located near the Natanz nuclear facility, which was not targeted during the June air campaign. Satellite imagery and expert assessments indicate that Iran has resumed construction activities at this site since June.

Mark Dubowitz, CEO of the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, stated: “My assessment of the government’s approach is that they will pursue a policy of maximum weakening or regime diminution.” Some Middle East experts believe that if Trump opts for military action aimed at regime change, more assets in the region would be required than are currently deployed.

A senior retired defense official said, “I don’t think they have enough equipment there yet.” According to a knowledgeable source and the same retired official, several air defense capabilities, including Patriot systems, are not yet fully deployed.

Dubowitz added: “American credibility is now being tested in a major way.”

Leavitt stated on Wednesday that Trump is still reviewing military options but remains hopeful for a deal with Tehran. She said: “I expect the Iranians to respond with additional details in the coming weeks, and the president will continue to monitor how this unfolds.”

Leavitt also referred to the June strikes Trump ordered against Iran’s nuclear enrichment sites and emphasized that the Iranians should reach a deal. She added: “The president has always clearly stated that diplomacy remains his first option regarding Iran or any other country, and Iran would be very wise to reach an agreement with President Trump and this administration.”

Was this news useful?